Pages

Sunday, November 14, 2010

San Francisco Beckons



"I left my heart in San Francisco. High on a hill, she calls to me..."
The words of the song repeated in my mind, as we walked the Embarcadero, watched tourists cram into cable cars, identified twisty Lombard Street and strolled through the Farmers Market, along Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf, with thousands of others who had also come to enjoy a Saturday in the city. It truly is captivating. Street performers attracted crowds at every corner: a magician who tore pieces of paper and put them back together again; two spray paint can artists with protective goggles, who created brilliantly colored street scenes; several different mime statues, bodies painted in silver and gold; harmonica, flute and guitar players; even a bongo drummer who never dropped the beat. Everywhere, action. I explained to Shyla and Andy how Maya Angelou wrote about her love for San Francisco in her autobiographical narrative I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings. How could anyone not love the pulse of life in this City by the Bay!
The sun painted a picture perfect evening over San Francisco Bay in Alameda as we walked in the park at Crab Cove near Shyla's apartment just before dinner. "I left my heart...," and the song echoed.

No comments:

Post a Comment