Pages

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Mind Benders


The streets of "New York" never looked so good on the super sunny December 1st morning.
Nathan Burton Comedy/Magic Show at the Flamingo drew a huge audience in the afternoon. Seated with Jim and Eileen from Florida, Andy and I chatted and chuckled. Four audience members, masked by the comedian, provided the best entertainment, responding with assigned moves to his taps on their shoulders.
But the evening show Fitz of Laughter, starring Kevin Burke, left the small audience at Fitzgerald's Downtown absolutely amazed. Pretending to read Tara's mind, Burke identified one word she picked from a 200-page book. The audience gasped when Burke, with little prompting, wrote mountainside on a chalk board. His only clue was a second guess that her word started with "m." The intimate theater invited audience participation, so I knew sooner or later I'd be forced into involvement.
"Okay, Ma'am, will you step up on stage?" Burke said, pointing at me.
I picked one card from a huge deck, showed it to the audience and replaced it. After some conversation, he identified my card, handed me a salt shaker and said my card was identified on a piece of paper inside the sealed glass, top glued on permanently. "You can trust me and take that home, preserving the magic of my abilities," he announced, "or we can smash it now and check. What do you want to do?" He held up the hammer.
"Oh, I'll take home the souvenir," I said without thinking. In my mind I had already placed the salt shaker on the family room mantle. I could read JAC on the paper inside.
"How did you do that?" I asked, flabbergasted at first. "I think I can read it."
"Well, you can smash it open," he responded. "There is still time to change your mind. I'll even help you." He showed the hammer again.
That did it. "Oh no, I'll preserve the mystery," I decided quickly, the stage lights blinding my eyes. Of course, I wanted to sit down.
When the show ended and the audience had left, we talked.
"Would you be willing to take a picture with my mom?" asked Tara.
Burke posed with me for five or six shots.
"If you keep my secret, I'll whisper the answer in your ear," he offered.
Of course, I agreed. Like everyone else, we left impressed and amazed. The ultimate performer, he's a mind bender, and I'll keep his mysteries a secret.

No comments:

Post a Comment