Pages

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Cruising the Willamette

"I know lumber rules, but the clear cutting here makes me sick," I told Andy as we again drove past sections of forest that had been leveled.
"But those areas have been replanted," he pointed out.
"It still looks terrible, and it will be years before the trees grow back."
"Better here where they grow fast though," he argued. "I'm not for it either, but there are two sides. I read this morning that a judge ruled that the Oregon Forest Service is not managing the lumber companies correctly. Too much erosion is going into the streams, and it is affecting the salmon production. I guess they will be clamping down."
With four days of rain predicted for the coastline and dangerous winds expected tonight, we headed inland to Salem, with stops for short walks at Van Duzer Forest Wayside, Fort Yamhill State Park, a historic site area, and Baskett Slough.
"I think there is a ferry near here," commented Andy as we headed toward the city.
"Wheatland Ferry is on the map, and the sign said turn left toward Willamette River," I told him.
Sure enough. The car ferry carried nine vehicles at a time on an electrified cable across the river. I read the sign: passengers, free; bicycles, free; motorcycles, $1.00; cars $2.00. Larger vehicles cost more. "But that's not exactly the way we want to go," I said.
"That's okay," he responded, parking the car. "I'm taking you on a cruise. I spare no cost. Over and back, a romantic trip across the Willamette."

No comments:

Post a Comment