Pages

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Let the Sun Shine


At 6:15 a.m. when I woke up, the sky brightened. "It's not raining," I told Andy, "and the parking lot looks dry." Not 15 minutes later, I heard a tapping on the window. "Andy," I nudged him, "that's sleet, I think."
He looked out. "It's hail now," he observed. But by the time we finished our coffee, the thunderheads cleared, leaving deep blue sky, accentuated by billowing cumulus clouds.
"Maybe this is our day," said Andy.
"Don't hold your breath," I warned.
First, we pulled into Seal Rock for photos in the sun to contrast with the ones from yesterday.
We stopped at Waldport Bridge where fishermen in the early morning were casting the fish guts out of their boat for seagulls.
At Smelt Sands the seagulls, intent on opening some oyster shells, played tag with the breaking waves on the offshore rocks.
Cape Perpetua Scenic Area, the highest point on the Oregon coast at more than 800 feet above sea level, challenged the passing grey clouds. But the bright sun burned off any rain.
"It's noon," I told Andy, "and we haven't even covered ten miles of scenic vistas from yesterday. That's a reflection on the weather and the Oregon coastline."
"ELK." I read the sign as we drove south. "Next seven miles. Now why would elk cross here?" I asked Andy. "They have ocean with crashing waves on one side and thick woods on the other. Nothing to eat or drink. Oh yeah, salt. I bet they lick the rocks."
Around Florence the coastline changes to dunes--mile after mile of stabilized sand covered with grasses or exposed, blowing particles. Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area protects the extensive beach and offers challenges for off road vehicles. Here they call them OHVs. For us, it offered extensive photo opportunities, several short hikes and sun until it set around 6:15.
"We lucked out," said Andy.
He was absolutely right. The wet roads ahead in North Bend provided the proof.

No comments:

Post a Comment